Hey guys! How do you feel about Valentine’s Day? Life can be ho-hum sometimes so any holiday that comes along I love celebrating. It’s nice to spice things up a little. Plus a holiday that celebrates love?!? Yes please! So here’s a fun craft you can do in celebration of that special love day! This craft is a heart pocket pillow that you can also collaborate doing with your toddler if you want.
– Pillow insert
– Fabric for pillow insert
– Fabric for heart
– Thread to match fabric
– Fabric paint
– Paint brush
– Sewing machine
1. Depending on what size pillow insert/form cut (2) pieces of fabric 1″ larger than pillow to make pillow cover. I had a 14″ x 14″ pillow so I cut out (2) squares 15″ x 15″.
2. Have toddler paint on fabric. I used black fabric and had Nola paint with white paint. I just had her paint a large section of fabric.
3. After paint has dried, cut out a heart smaller than the pillow cover. Follow instructions according to what’s on the fabric paint’s bottle to heat set and ensure paint is permanent, mine called for ironing.
4. Hem around the around the perimeter of the heart to prevent the fabric from fraying.
5. Next sew heart onto pillow following the hem stitch. Leave opening at the top of the heart to allow for pocket.
6. Now you can sew the pillow cover. Have backside of fabric facing out and sew pillow pieces together allowing a 1/2″ seam allowance. Leave approximately a 5″ opening to insert pillow.
7. After pillow is inserted use a hidden stitch with needle and thread to close up opening.
8. Set out pillow and put a love note and a treat for the special people in your home!
I think this pillow is adorable and since I don’t think it looks like typical Valentine’s Day decor I plan on having it out year round. And can I just say Nola’s painting, not only does it make this pillow more special, but I love how abstract it came out!! I plan on slipping some notes and treats to my guy, Nola and guests when they come. I think it will be a lot of fun! Happy Valentine’s Day friends!